The conference will be held at Hotel Le Récif in Saint-Gilles-Les-Bains, La Réunion.
The hotel is located right next to the most renowned beach of the island, with a direct access to a coral reef protected by a marine reserve (bring your snorkeling equipment!).
You have the option to either stay onsite at the conference hotel or find an alternate accommodation in the vicinity. The area has anything from rental apartments, AirBnB, to hotel of different price ranges). As the area is a popular tourist destination, you’ll have options but accommodations can get quickly booked so it is strongly recommended to book early.
Other options for accommodation include:
• Hotel Coco Island (20 mins walk from the conference venue, near the beach)
• Hotel de la Plage (20 mins walk from the conference venue, downtown Saint Gilles)
• Hôtel le Grand Bleu (near the Hotel La Plage, next to the harbour)
• Village de Corail (5 mins walk from the conference hotel)
• Airbnb le Céladon
• Les Brisants (right across the road from the conference venue!)
Note that some hotels offer packages that include the supper. If this is a convenient option, many restaurant options exist within a 15-minute walk radius.
Flying to La Réunion
La Reunion has an international airport located at about an hour from the hotel, the Roland Garros airport (airport code: RUN).
The easiest options to reach La Réunion are:
• Daily flights from Paris (Roissy or Orly airports depending on the flights), France, several times a day with several companies (e.g., Air France, Air Austral, Corsair, French Bee)
• Regular (but not daily) flights from/to Johannesburg (South Africa), Bangkok (Thailand) and Chennai (India) on Air Austral
• Daily flights from the nearby island of Mauritius (45 mins flight), which itself is better connected with for instance direct flights from Perth (Australia), Dubai (UAE), Hong Kong, London (UK), Frankfurt (Germany), etc.
Main companies flying directly to La Réunion:
Due to the long travel time but also the fact that La Réunion is a renowned touristic destination we strongly recommend you take some personal time to visit the island before or after the conference. A lot of budget/backpacker options exist to make the stay affordable.
Don’t hesitate to reach out to the Tourism Reunion people to get advice on things to do/see. Key touristic spots include the volcano (NB. Friday’s field trip will get you there if the weather cooperates) and the three “Cirques” of Cilaos, Salazie and Mafate (the last one is only accessibly by foot).
Transportation from/to the airport to the hotel is relatively easy using the public transportation system using the Route T of Car jaunes departing from the Roland Garros airport every 1-2 hours – The schedule is only in French but should be understandable (usual bus table information – careful though as schedule changes between week days (“Lundi au vendredi”) – the first yellow block of time – saturdays – the second one – and sundays – the last block in grey). The closest bus stop to the conference venue is “Filaos St-Gilles” (10-15 mins of easy walk) but depending on your accommodation you could also stop before, at “Saint-Gilles les Bains”.
Many car rental companies exist, at the airport but also at many other places (at more affordable costs). Some car rental have offices next to the conference hotel (ITC Tropicar and Rent a Car), which can be helpful to rent a car before or after the conference.