GeoHab Ron McDowell Student Support Award
Information for students wishing to apply
Each year the organizing committee of the GeoHab conference awards a small number of travel grants to selected students to attend and present at the conference. The award in named in honor of the late Ron McDowell, a good friend, and supporter of GeoHab. The award comprises an amount towards costs of travel and accommodation, plus a waiver of the conference registration fee.
Applications for the student scholarship should not exceed four pages and must include the following information:
Applications for the student scholarship should not exceed five pages and must include the following information:
Pages 1–2. Your brief curriculum vitae, specifying:
a) type of degree (Ph.D., MSc, BSc) being undertaken
b) title of thesis (if applicable)
c) name of the university
d) name of supervisor
e) intended date of completion of degree
f) the estimated cost of a return trip from the place of residence to the conference venue (cheapest available economy airfare)
Page 3. Covering letter, stating the motivation for applying and foreseen benefit of participating in the GeoHab conference (limit 1 page; less than 400 words);
Page 4. Abstract of the presentation to be given at GeoHab if successful (Title, authors, affiliation, text of abstract. Please follow Abstract template, refer to Conference website)
Optional additional page 5. A letter of recommendation from your advisor is desirable, but not necessary.
1. The GeoHab Ron McDowell Student Support Award is intended to cover/contribute costs of airfare and accommodation to allow the student to attend the annual GeoHab conference. Based on funds available and the merit of the application, the amount awarded to each student will be determined by the student scholarship selection committee. Some students may receive full funding, others partial funding.
2. Students will be notified individually of the amounts awarded to them. Payment of the award will occur at the GeoHab conference in the form of reimbursement, based on receipts for airfare, plus an amount towards accommodation costs.
3. Students will be reimbursed only for what they spend – if the airfare costs less than estimated they will be reimbursed only up to the amount actually spent on the airfare. If the airfare costs more than the amount of the award, students have to pay the extra amount.
4. The sum awarded for accommodation will be based on the cheapest accommodation option available, as given on the GeoHab conference website.
5. Students are responsible for making their own travel and accommodation arrangements, reservations and bookings.
6. At the GeoHab conference, the student must present their work in person. It is not acceptable for the student’s supervisor or fellow students to deliver the presentation on their behalf. For fully funded students this must be an oral presentation. For partially funded students, this will be oral/poster at the discretion of the organizing committee.
7. If for any reason the student is not able to travel or is unable to present their work in person, the award will not be given. Students should, therefore, ensure they have suitable travel insurance to cover their costs if they have to cancel (e.g., in the event of illness etc.).
8. Students must register online for the GeoHab conference. No registration fee is required for any student in receipt of a GeoHab Ron McDowell Student Support Award.
9. The award does not cover the cost of optional field trips or other conference activities that are not covered in the normal registration fee.
10. The student grant committee will evaluate the applications and make a decision usually by early-February, in time for submission of the final abstract and registration.
11. Students from the region where the previous GeoHab conference was held are given priority, however, all students are welcome to apply.
12. The contact for the conference and other information on GeoHab are available on www.geohab.org
13. Applications must be emailed in PDF or MS Word format to the person specified on the conference web site.